Lynda.com is Now LinkedIn Learning
We are excited to announce that LinkedIn Learning is now available to the UNC community! LinkedIn Learning is an on-demand learning solution designed to help you gain new skills and advance your career! LinkedIn Learning acquired Lynda.com and includes all Lynda.com content plus more.
Just like Lynda.com, LinkedIn Learning is available at NO COST to UNC-Chapel Hill faculty, staff and students.
You will still have access to all the current Lynda.com content and your history (courses watched, courses saved in Lynda.com, certificates of completion received), plus more than 5,000 new courses. LinkedIn Learning also provides additional insights and social engagement that make learning a more personalized and data-driven experience.
The University migrated from Lynda.com to LinkedIn Learning on July 18, 2019.
Activate Your Account
To activate your account and access thousands of video tutorials on LinkedIn Learning, click on the “LinkedIn Learning Login” link at the top of this page. You will be asked a few questions regarding your skills and interests when you log in for the first time. We recommend answering these questions so that you may receive personalized recommendations on videos and courses based on your selected preferences.
Please note that you will receive a prompt to link your UNC LinkedIn Learning account to your personal LinkedIn profile, if you have one. Connecting to your personal LinkedIn profile is NOT required.
**Action Required of Lynda.com Users**
Transfer Your Lynda Data by March 2020
If you have been using Lynda.com, you must activate your LinkedIn Learning account by March 2020, as this will transfer over your Lynda.com history. If you do not activate your account by this time, you will lose all your Lynda.com activity and it cannot be recovered. Simply log into LinkedIn Learning to activate your account.
You should have received an email from LinkedIn Learning on July 18, 2019. You may also click on the “Activate account now” link in the email to activate your account and transfer over your Lynda.com history. Please note the email link will expire after 30 days, but you can always log in via this webpage.
Update Your Lynda.com Links
If you have saved any Lynda.com URLs outside of Lynda.com (in your course syllabus, for example), those URLs will automatically redirect to the appropriate LinkedIn Learning URL through March 2020. You must update your URLs by March 2020. Please see our FAQs below on requesting URL conversions (four-week turnaround time for LinkedIn).
See the full list of migration FAQs.
LinkedIn Learning is an award-winning industry leader in online training, with a digital library of thousands of courses covering a wide range of technical, business, software and creative topics. It has all the features of Lynda.com, but with added insights and social engagement that make learning a more personalized and data-driven experience.
With LinkedIn Learning, you get:
- Unlimited access. Choose from more than 6,000 video tutorials covering business, creative, and technology topics
- Personalized recommendations. Explore the most in-demand skills based on your experience
- Expert instructors. Learn from industry leaders, all in one place
- Convenient learning. Access courses on your schedule, from any desktop or mobile device
- Helpful resources. Reinforce new knowledge with quizzes, exercise files, and coding practice windows
LinkedIn Learning combines all the courses and functionality of Lynda.com with insights from LinkedIn data to provide personalized course recommendations based on your current job, skills, and what people like you are learning. Alongside a more personalized learning experience, LinkedIn Learning also offers the opportunity for Q&A sessions with fellow learners and video instructors, enabling learning to continue after the video is watched. LinkedIn Learning has also taken video instruction to a more global level, providing content in more languages than ever before, including English, Spanish, German, Mandarin and many more.
Your account information, learning history (courses watched, courses saved, etc.), and certificates of completion will migrate from Lynda.com to your LinkedIn Learning profile once you activate your LinkedIn Learning account after the July 18 migration. If you do not activate your account and complete this migration process by March 2020, your information will be lost and unrecoverable.
No. Once your LinkedIn Learning account is created and your information transferred, your Lynda.com profile will be canceled. To access Lynda.com content, simply log into LinkedIn Learning, which has all the Lynda.com courses and videos. Your Lynda.com history will also be available to you.
NOTE: After first activating your LinkedIn Learning account, it can take up to a few hours for all of your Lynda.com history to appear.
URL links to courses and tutorials within Lynda.com will redirect to the appropriate LinkedIn Learning URL through March 2020. After March 2020, the Lynda.com links will be broken and must be replaced with the correct LinkedIn Learning links.
To get an updated list of URLs you have saved outside of Lynda.com (in your course syllabus, for example), you have three options:
- Recommended Option: Search for the videos directly in LinkedIn Learning
- Request to have LinkedIn look up updated URLs (turnaround time: four weeks)
- Manually update your Lynda.com URLs following a format specific to UNC’s instance of LinkedIn Learning
1) Search in LinkedIn Learning
The simplest and quickest way to get your new URLs is to search for the courses in LinkedIn Learning:
- Log into LinkedIn Learning
- Use the search box at the top of the LinkedIn Learning platform and search with your course title
2) Request URLs from LinkedIn
To request that LinkedIn look up the new URLs for your videos, send us a help request. Because LinkedIn’s turnaround time is four weeks, we recommend that you send us your list by March 1, 2020.
Here are the steps that must be taken to request that LinkedIn look up the updated URLs:
- Gather list of all of your saved Lynda.com videos and include 1) Course Name and 2) Lynda.com URL to video
- Send us this list in a help request
- We will send your list to LinkedIn Support
- LinkedIn will send us list of updated URLs (turnaround time: four weeks)
- We will email you your list of updated URLs
- You must manually update each URL you have saved
3) Manually Update URLs
You can manually update your course URLs using UNC’s enterprise number (u=42563596). This example uses the course “Agile Instructional Design.”
- Lynda.com URL: lynda.com/Instructional-Design-tutorials/Agile-Instructional-Design/492713-2.html
- New LinkedIn Learning URL: linkedin.com/learning/agile-instructional-design/?u=42563596
To manually update the Lynda URL to LinkedIn Learning:
- Replace “lynda.com” with “linkedin.com/learning”
- Remove the tutorials name (“Instructional-Design-tutorials/”)
- Remove the ID at the end of the URL (“492713-2.html”)
- Add “?u=42563596” to the end of the URL
We highly recommend updating your Lynda.com links well before the March 2020 deadline.
After the upgrade has completed on July 18, 2019, you may access the UNC LinkedIn Learning platform on this current webpage. You can easily navigate to this webpage by entering linkedin.unc.edu into your browser.
To learn more about LinkedIn Learning and its features, visit the LinkedIn Learning website.
Here is also a quick one-minute video preview of LinkedIn Learning!