Support & Documentation
UNC-CH has entered into an agreement with Autonomy (formerly Iron Mountain) to provide a remote backup solution using their Connected Backup software. UNC-CH has agreed to purchase a minimum of 1200 licenses for Windows and Apple based machines for all UNC affiliates for work machines.
Departmental bulk orders must be paid by departments using a billing department ID.
- Departmental license per machine per fiscal year: $90 or prorated depending on order date
The Connected Backup service provides an online backup and recovery solution for all your critical data, no matter where it’s located on your PC or Mac. Connected Backup ensures your backups happen automatically, consistently, and securely.
- Connected Backup runs in the background, with minimal user intervention and without getting in the way of business.
- SendOnce technology allows fast backups by only copying user’s unique data and cataloging data files that are already in the Connected Backup SendOnce data pool. Please note that the first backup should be done on UNC’s high speed wired network and takes an average of 2 hours to complete. Initial off-campus backups can take significantly longer due to the upload limits imposed by ISPs. Following backups will only take an average of 2 minutes.
- Access your backed-up data for recovery or management any time via the Account Management website.
- Recovery is fast and easy – simply use the software installed on your computer to restore files. Or, log into the Account Management website from any computer and recover individual files in minutes.
- Your data is encrypted and securely stored in the Connected Backup data vaults located in redundant remote sites. Connected Backup also backs up our vaults to tape, so your data is off-line, protected from viruses and worms.
Platform & Systems Requirements
Operating System/Processor –
- Windows 7/8/10: 32 or 64-bit processor with 2GB RAM
- Mac OS X 10.8-10.11: Intel Processor with 2GB RAM
Web browser (required to display Connected Backup Help) –
- Internet Explorer 8.0 or higher
- Firefox 16.0 or higher
- Safari 2.x or higher
Placing an order
- Departmental Bulk Orders
This option is intended for Departmental Business Managers or those with approval from their business office. We recommend that customers contact their departmental IT support before placing an order. Your department may already have an IM community setup and configured.
NOTE: ITS Staff may login here to register for the Connected Backup client for use on ITS computers.
Departmental Bulk Ordering Form: http://software.sites.unc.edu/ordering/
(Onyen and Password Required)
If you have any questions or problems using the Connected Backup software, please submit a Request for Help ticket or call 962-HELP.